John Woodard Memorial Scholarship
Kiwanis Club of Houma, LA
Annually scholarships are awarded to deserving high school students from the Houma area.
The John Woodard Memorial Scholarship is awarded to high school seniors graduating from high schools within Terrebonne Parish. The Scholarship was named in memory of John Woodard, a longtime member of the Kiwanis Club of Houma, who died in 2006. John was very supportive of our Club’s effort to not only serve children, but also to educate them. That was evidenced by his efforts to inform people of all ages of the coastal issues facing our State, and be an advocate for the preservation of our natural resources.
The Kiwanis Club of Houma attempts to award a scholarship to a senior at each of the high schools where we sponsor (or have sponsored) a Key Club. The minimum amount of the scholarship award will be $1,000.00 for one (1) year. The final award amount and the actual number of scholarships awarded is dependent upon the number of applications received. The recipient(s) that plan to attend Nicholls State University will be required to join Circle K. Circle K is the college level equivalent organization to the Kiwanis Club. The dues for an one (1) year membership will be paid by our Club upon proof of membership.
1. The Applicant must be a graduating high school senior planning to enroll in Nicholls State University or Fletcher Technical Community College.
2. The Applicant doesn’t need to be a member of the Key Club, but special consideration is given to those Applicants that have been active members throughout their high school education.
1. Complete the Application. The Application is provided as a pdf-fillable & editable form that can be completed electronically with Adobe Acrobat Standard (Version 8 or greater) or you can print the form and complete it manually. If you choose to electronically complete the form using Adobe, please reduce the size of your font as needed so that all words fit within the space provided.
2. The use of additional sheets of paper is acceptable.
3. Provide a copy of your official high school transcript.
4. Provide a copy of the results from your highest ACT composite score.
5. Provide at least one (1) letter of recommendation.
6. Sign the Application, and then scan the Application along with the transcript, ACT results, and letter of recommendation as one (1) pdf file, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
7. If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact Michael D’Angelo, Scholarship Chairman with the Kiwanis Club of Houma, at email@example.com.
The Kiwanis Foundation of Houma was formed to provide the Kiwanis Club of Houma vehicle to accomplish its charitable activities.
The affairs of the Foundation are managed by the board of directors of the Foundation. The board of directors consists of the President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary and nine elected directors. Three directors are elected each year to serve three-year terms. These persons are elected by the membership of the Kiwanis Club of Houma.
501(c)(3) Federal I.R.S. Tax Status
The Kiwanis Foundation of Houma is a tax exempt organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. As such, contributions made to the Foundation are deductible by donors per Internal Revenue Service regulations.